This is an old post. It is part of our archive, which records our successful campaign against the East Reading MRT in 2017 and 2018.
On the 30 November we learned that Wokingham’s Planning committee will be deciding on the MRT on 12 December. Their planning officer is recommending that the plan is approved, but the BATTLE IS FAR FROM OVER!
We have been here before. In June the planning officer recommended approval, but 5 Councillors stood up for their residents and the riverside and voted to reject the East Reading MRT.
We can still win.
There are well over 180 objections to this scheme, we need you to keep up the pressure. Here is what you can do.
- the Councillors on the Planning Committee and let them know how you feel,
- other Wokingham Councillors who we know oppose the scheme, and ask them speak out.
Please copy in SOAR SaveOurAncientRiverside@gmail.com
Tim Holton (Chairman)
23 Toseland Way
0118 966 8254
Chris Bowring (Vice-Chairman)
1 Gull Close
c/o Wokingham Borough Council
0118 934 2374
31 Harmar Close
0118 979 2148
3 Barkham Manor
0118 978 0487
16 Meadow View
0118 940 1190
30 Spruce Road
0118 961 8491
41 Tattersall Close
Phone: 0118 978 9766
Bus. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 0118 986 8732
Bus. email: email@example.com
Twitter : @earleytories
Facebook : www.facebook.com/earley.tories?fref=ts
Some suggestions for your email or letter
- As a [local person/regular visitor to the riverside] I regularly [walk/run/walk my dog/commute/play/skip] along the riverside that will be harmed by the proposed East Reading MRT.
- As well as being part of the Thames Path and therefore of national importance, the Riverside and Kennet Mouth is a well-loved area and the only remaining green space for Reading East residents that is not encircled by roads.
- In the summer you took the time to visit the riverside and you saw the negative impact that a flyover would have on the runners, walkers, commuters, cyclists, bird watchers, anglers, parents and children that use the area.
- There are many reasons why the proposed scheme is bad for Reading and Wokingham, here are the reasons why I object: [insert reasons from Top 10 reasons to object to the MRT].
- I am a resident of [Wokingham/Reading/the Earth/your ward] and I ask that you carefully consider the impact of this scheme and reject it for my sake, your sake and for the sake of future generations.
Why are we asking you to do this?
On the 12 December 2018, Wokingham Council – who rejected the previous MRT application – will vote again on whether to approve or reject the revised application.
It is vital that these Councillors know how you feel about the proposed MRT flyover. The information they will receive from the planning officer will just be a summary of the objections. Make sure the Councillors understand the depth of feeling against the East Reading MRT.